Janes-Melus Family Tree

Stefan MelusAge: 88 years19031992

Stefan Melus
Birth November 14, 1903
Pista; Steve

Birth of a sisterEleonora Melusova
July 29, 1905 (Age 20 months)
Birth of a brotherAnton Melus
January 2, 1907 (Age 3 years)
Birth of a brotherJozef Melus
March 6, 1909 (Age 5 years)
Birth of a brotherViktor Melus
December 20, 1910 (Age 7 years)
Birth of a sisterAnna Melus
October 28, 1912 (Age 8 years)
First communion May 1, 1913 (Age 9 years)
Birth of a sisterJozefina Melusova
February 4, 1915 (Age 11 years)
Death of a paternal grandfatherMartin Melus
July 11, 1915 (Age 11 years)
Burial of a paternal grandfatherMartin Melus
1915 (Age 11 years)
Birth of a sisterMaria Melusova
May 27, 1917 (Age 13 years)
Birth of a brotherPavol Melus
March 16, 1919 (Age 15 years)
Death of a paternal grandmotherKatarina Peciarova
July 17, 1919 (Age 15 years)
Birth of a sisterMarta Melusova
October 1, 1923 (Age 19 years)
Passport April 9, 1926 (Age 22 years)
Death of a maternal grandfatherStefan Dobias
June 14, 1926 (Age 22 years)

Immigration August 7, 1926 (Age 22 years)
Immigration August 1926 (Age 22 years)
Immigration August 1926 (Age 22 years)
Immigration August 14, 1926 (Age 22 years)
Death of a brotherAnton Melus
August 12, 1928 (Age 24 years)
Cause: tuberculosis
Death of a sisterEleonora Melusova
June 10, 1929 (Age 25 years)
Burial of a sisterEleonora Melusova
1929 (Age 25 years)
Citizenship December 6, 1935 (Age 32 years)
Marriage Fact October 19, 1937 (Age 33 years)
Settler, according to John's birth certificate
June 1938 (Age 34 years)

Birth of a son
Edward Joseph Melus
July 30, 1940 (Age 36 years)
Birth of a son
Edward Joseph Melus
July 30, 1940 (Age 36 years)
Residence before 1942 (Age 38 years)
Death of a sonEdward Joseph Melus
April 23, 1942 (Age 38 years)
Cause: Acute intestinal intoxication due to secondary anaemia at Victoria Hospital,
Burial of a sonEdward Joseph Melus
April 24, 1942 (Age 38 years)
Death of a fatherValent Jozef Melus
April 28, 1954 (Age 50 years)
Burial of a fatherValent Jozef Melus
1954 (Age 50 years)
between 1942 and 1967 (Age 38 years)

Residence 2 between 1942 and 1967 (Age 38 years)
Death of a brotherJozef Melus
June 25, 1969 (Age 65 years)
Cause: Car Accident
Burial of a brotherJozef Melus
1969 (Age 65 years)
Death of a motherVeronika Dobiasova
February 28, 1970 (Age 66 years)
Death of a sisterJozefina Melusova
October 7, 1983 (Age 79 years)
Cause: Heart attack
Residence 3 between 1967 and 1992 (Age 63 years)
Residence 4 1992 (Age 88 years)
Cause of death (Facts Pg) 1992 (Age 88 years)
Death April 25, 1992 (Age 88 years)
Burial May 11, 1992 (16 days after death)
Family with parents - View this family
Marriage: Klatova Nova Ves, Austro-Hungary
20 months
younger sister
17 months
younger brother
Anton Melus
Birth: January 2, 1907Klatova Nova Ves, Austro-Hungary
Death: August 12, 1928Klatova Nova Ves, Czechoslovakia
2 years
younger brother
21 months
younger brother
22 months
younger sister
2 years
younger sister
2 years
younger sister
22 months
younger brother
5 years
younger sister
Veronka Melusova
Birth: Klatova Nova Ves, Slovakia
Death: Klatova Nova Ves, Austro-Hungary; lived only 3 days or months
Family with Anna Gulisova - View this family
John Joseph Melus
Edward Joseph Melus
Birth: July 30, 1940Cochrane ON
Death: April 23, 1942Victoria Hospital, London, Ontario, Canada
Mary Helen Melus

Shared note
Stefan (Istvan or Pista) Melus finished Grade 4, which was the end of elementary school in his homeland. He went to school during the Austro-Hungarian Empire in Slovakia and all his classes were in Hungarian. He was not allowed to speak Slovak in school or on the way to and from school. At one time he (or his family wanted him) wanted to be a priest but his family could not afford the education. This was expected of the oldest boy in the family. Stefan served as altar-boy for several years. When he was eleven years old he was pulled off of a wagon by the team of horses he was driving. He was trampled by the horses and his nose was flattened. The family could not afford to get a doctor and he was not expected to survive. Later, because of his nose, he was not eligible for the Czechoslovakian Army. He worked on the farm with his brothers. Steve Melus came to Canada via Liverpool, England in 1926. He landed in Halifax, then took the train to Kipling, Saskatchewan to work on a farm in a Hungarian area (Estevan). He started in the wheat harvest. The huge fields made him lonely for his country where people lived in villages, not on their farms. This was at a time when the Canadian government was advertising for people to settle the country. He quit that farm after the harvest because the farmer he was working for wanted him to marry his daughter. Stefan was not ready for marriage. He planned to return to his homeland after making his fortune in Canada, in 2 years. That winter he moved east. He worked in Toronto for one month at Swifts Company, salting hides and shredding stale bread. He spent a month working in construction, digging basements, in Toronto. Then he got a job with CNR, North Bay, shoveling snow and removing railroad ties. After that he went to Montreal to visit Slovaks for six weeks. He then worked in Midland, unloading ships. Then he moved to Port McNicholl. His job was building a grain elevator. He made $0.40 a day. He rented his room at night; someone else rented it during the day. Most of his traveling was done on top of boxcars. Then he moved to Cochrane. He worked on a power-house at Fraserdale, along the power line to Moosonee, forty kilometres from James Bay. He was also a cook at camp, cooking for 300 men. In about 1930 he bought his homestead at Hunta. It was seventy-five acres, the west half of Lot 5, Concession 11, Calder Township, in Cochrane District. Land records in Cochrane do not show whether he ever paid off the homestead. He cleared land and built a log house. His first house and all of his belongings burned soon after it was built. His sister Anna came to Canada in 1932 to marry Stefan Alaksa in Flin Flon, Manitoba. Stefan became a Canadian citizen (British subject) in December, 1935. At this time he knew Viktor Gulis and through him learned that Viktor had two unmarried sisters in Slovakia. Steve decided it was time to get married so he wrote to both of them. Maria was engaged to be married, but Anna started corresponding with him. After about one year of correspondence, she came to Canada. Steve had rebuilt his log house by this time. They were married on October 19, 1937 by a Roman Catholic priest in Driftwood, Ontario. Their son John was born in 1938. Their second son, Edward was born in 1940. Both were born in Cochrane. The family stayed in Hunta until 1942, growing potatoes and boot-legging beer and whiskey. They lived in a primarily Slovak-Hungarian-French-Russian area. There was no market for their produce and slowly residents were moving south with their families to take jobs in cities or buying farms. Jozef & Jakub Koncovy went to Alvinston with Vince Pavlech. Mike Solcz went to Windsor and his brother Martin bought a tobacco farm near Rodney. Joseph & Elizabeth Lesso moved to Toronto. Anton Jancek, Podoba and Jan Dobias were some of the others he knew in the north. They either returned to Czechoslovakia or died in the north. Christmas cards were exchanged with Stanley Lubczinski until the 1960s. Stanley stayed in the north. The Blackburns were good neighbours. On April 2, 1942 Steve & Anna bought a one-hundred acre farm in Ekfrid Township, Middlesex County for $6500 from Robert B. McKellar. It was located in the south half of Lot 21, Second Range, north of Longwood's Road (Highway 2). On May 27, 1942 he paid $3250. to Mr. McKellar. He remortgaged the remaining $1750. when his brother-in-law in Flin Flon renigged on a promise to lend him the money. (There was a formal loan arrangement with Stefan Alaksa which was legally ended in 1942.) When John Dobias, labourer, died in Toronto (264 Bathurst St.) on June 7, 1945 Dad owed his estate $375. On April 30, 1945 Wm Annett in Alvinston held a $3500 mortgage. This 7 year mortgage was paid off in 4 years. On March 6, 1967 Steve sold the farm to Stan Pazitka for $33000. Edward died about 2 weeks after they moved to the farm. Mary was born in 1945. In 1949 Steve bought his first car (a Graham-Paige) and learned to drive it from the driving examiner, Mr Calderwood. I vaguely remember Mom walking up the hill near Alvinston because the Graham-Paige did nothave enough power go up the hill with the whole family in it.His first new car was a 1950 green Pontiac. In 1960 he bought a black Chevrolet demonstrator with a red interior which he drove until 1976 when he gave up driving. (He bought a TR3 as a graduation gift from university for John in 1960 as well. He bought Mary a Chevelle in 1967 as a graduation gift.) For a few years before he gave up driving, Anna served as his eyes while driving. Although he was legally blind, he could still see to drive. While on the farm their friends were the Brnka, Bajan, Puspoky, Junas, Pustay families. In 1967 Steve & Anna bought Lot 31 in Plan 312 on the corner of Symes and Randolph Streets in Glencoe, from Roy Henderson for $750. They built the house for $14,800 and added the carport shortly after. He and Anna worked several summers planting tobacco (Jung farm) and picking tomatoes (Pazitka farm). They also worked on gardens around Glencoe and in Mrs. Beatty's (Beatty Haven, Wardsville) farm garden. In Glencoe there were several Slovak families they visited with - Murza, Pustay, Plaskon, Maruscak, Junas, Antonia Dobias. By this time they had renewed their relationship with Victor Gulis as well. In 1970, Steve Melus had prostate surgery and his kidney stones removed at Victoria Hospital, London. The surgeon was Dr. MacIninch. In the early 1970's he was declared legally blind by both Dr. Cruikshanks, Sarnia and Dr. Mailer, London. In 1976 he had a heart attack and shortly after a stroke. He was in Four Counties Hospital, Newbury. His doctors were Dr. Bahro and Dr. Sanders. His pace-maker was inserted in October, 1988 in University Hospital, London by Dr. Yee. In May, 1991 he entered Four Counties Hospital with fluid build-up. In June he had a prostate-resecting in St. Joseph's Hospital, Chatham. In October he moved to North Lambton Rest Home. Shortly after he fell and cracked his ribs and bruised his face. Then he climbed out of bed and broke his hip in November. Dr. MacKinlay put a pin in his hip at Sarnia General. He was moved back to Four Counties Hospital for therapy. In April, 1992, he had an ulcer on his toe, so his toe was removed, in Newbury. He suffered from dementia and had several TIA's (Transischemic Attacks). He died in Four Counties Hospital in Newbury. Dad enjoyed country and folk music - Tommy Hunter, Irish Rovers. He used to sing to himself (Slovak or Hungarian) while working in the fields. In retirement he enjoyed just sitting and watching the world go by. It was his job to wash and dry dishes. He also looked after banking and any postal duties. He never complained about life in general, and loved to talk about his days in Canada before he was married.